[pulseaudio-discuss] Allowing pasuspender from other users

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Wed Jan 16 02:58:23 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:58 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > I recently set up a couple of extra accounts on my desktop machine for
> > my roommates to use. The only time they'll ever be using it is when I'm
> > already logged in on another console, so pulse will always be running as
> > me. When they log in, things like paplay work just fine, and they're
> > able to use the pulse output module in audacious to listen to music.
>
> When you say console, do you mean X11 session?

Yes.

> In e.g. Gnome and KDE you can bring up a new login window and get a full
> X11 session.
>
> Your system should automatically switch control of the sound device when
> you switch users - this is handled (IIRC) by ConsoleKit although I could
> be getting the name wrong.
>
> e.g. on my machine, I can:
>
> 1. Login as me via GDM.
> 2. pulseaudio automatically starts for me.
> 3. Play some sound.
> 4. Hit the "Login as another User" button (or just lock the screen and
> hit "New Login Window".
> 5. A new GDM is created and sound stops (my user account's pulseaudio is
> automatically suspended) and is effectively muted (e.g. the app playing
> sound carries on in complete ignorance).
> 6. I login as another user in Gnome or KDE etc.
> 7. Pulse audio starts for that user and has control of the sound device.
> 8. I can play audio as that user.
> 9. I can switch back to my own user using <CTRL>+<ALT>+F7
> 10. The other user's pulseaudio process is suspended and my pulseaudio
> is reactived and my music is heard again.
> 11. Swithc to the other user <CTRL>+<ALT>+F8 and the same switch over
> occurs.
>
> This to me seems the perfect setup!!! It's how it works on OSX too from
> what I've heard.

This is exactly the setup that I'm using except that, AFAIK, the new
user doesn't get a separate pulseaudio process. They're still connecting
to my PA session. I'll see if I can replicate this setup. If I can that
would be the perfect solution.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837