[pulseaudio-discuss] Allowing pasuspender from other users

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 16 01:58:45 PST 2008

Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I recently set up a couple of extra accounts on my desktop machine for
> my roommates to use. The only time they'll ever be using it is when I'm
> already logged in on another console, so pulse will always be running as
> me. When they log in, things like paplay work just fine, and they're
> able to use the pulse output module in audacious to listen to music.

When you say console, do you mean X11 session?

In e.g. Gnome and KDE you can bring up a new login window and get a full
X11 session.

Your system should automatically switch control of the sound device when
you switch users - this is handled (IIRC) by ConsoleKit although I could
be getting the name wrong.

e.g. on my machine, I can:

1. Login as me via GDM.
2. pulseaudio automatically starts for me.
3. Play some sound.
4. Hit the "Login as another User" button (or just lock the screen and
hit "New Login Window".
5. A new GDM is created and sound stops (my user account's pulseaudio is
automatically suspended) and is effectively muted (e.g. the app playing
sound carries on in complete ignorance).
6. I login as another user in Gnome or KDE etc.
7. Pulse audio starts for that user and has control of the sound device.
8. I can play audio as that user.
9. I can switch back to my own user using <CTRL>+<ALT>+F7
10. The other user's pulseaudio process is suspended and my pulseaudio
is reactived and my music is heard again.
11. Swithc to the other user <CTRL>+<ALT>+F8 and the same switch over
occurs.

This to me seems the perfect setup!!! It's how it works on OSX too from
what I've heard.

If you start to bring text console logins into the equation then the
same principle applies but it may require modification of ConsoleKit to
accommodate.

Forgive me if some of the packages are incorrect. It's early and I've
only had one cup of tea so far.... :p