[pulseaudio-discuss] Help in setting up PA

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Jan 20 02:28:54 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 03:07:44AM -0500, Richard Geddes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just installed the PA packages on Ubuntu 7.10, with alsa drivers.
> Followed (I think) the steps for set up from the PA "Perfect setup" web
> page... when I try to run audio through PA (aplay -Dpulse music.mp3) no
> sound  goes to the speakers,  however,  I can see quite a few udp
> packets being pushed through eth0... How can I get PA to send those
> audio packets back to my audio card?

You don't mention what kind of setup you want. RTP stuff
doesn't get loaded automatically, so I assume you do want to
broadcast all your audio to the LAN. If that is correct,
then the fix is probably quite simple. You probably have
this line in your default.pa, if you followed the FAQ:

load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp

Instead of a null sink, you want to use an actual alsa sink.
So do not load the null sink, but replace the 'source'
argument of module-rtp-send with the name of the alsa sink's
monitor source.

If you need further assistance, please explain what kind of
setup you want, and attach your /etc/pulse/default.pa.

--
Tanu Kaskinen