[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse with a bluetooth headset

Leszek Koltunski leszek at 3miasto.net.pl
Thu Jan 24 04:41:57 PST 2008

> Yes, that is correct. As long as your ALSA devices are set to pulse you
> can use the pulse mixer for everything and get rid of dmix altogether.
> (Pulse does a much better job of this IMO.) Note that SOME ALSA
> applications won't work right with the pulse emulation, and OSS support
> using padsp isn't quite perfect. For example, VirtualBox, which uses
> ALSA natively, doesn't work right with pulse. And snes9x that uses OSS,
> doesn't work with padsp. The only option for it is to either use dmix
> along with pulse (bad idea), or use pasuspender which will completely
> suspend the pulse server while the app is running.

Oh yeah, I do use VirtualBox. But sound in it is not essential, and
during the rare occurence when I do use it, I suppose I can do the
pasuspender thing.

I don't care about OSS at all.

How about FlashPlugin 9 ? Can it use the virtual 'pulse' ALSA device?

I hoped that anything which can output sound to a hardware
ALSA soundcard can also use a virtual ALSA card, but as we can see with
Skype + BlueZ-audio and VirtualBox + pulse, this is not always the
case...