[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse with a bluetooth headset

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 24 05:04:57 PST 2008

Leszek Koltunski wrote:
> How about FlashPlugin 9 ? Can it use the virtual 'pulse' ALSA device?

There is a plugin for flash (libflashsupport) for this. flashplugin's
built in alsa support used to be buggy and would kill pulse - not sure
if it still is tho'.

> I hoped that anything which can output sound to a hardware
> ALSA soundcard can also use a virtual ALSA card, but as we can see with
> Skype + BlueZ-audio and VirtualBox + pulse, this is not always the
> case...

> Has anyone on this list tried to use Pulse with bluetooth headsets?

I've tried and failed, but mainly because I couldn't get *alsa* to work
properly. I'm using the newer method as per your asoundrc but kinda gave
up. My BT headset is pretty old so that may explain it. I kinda half works.

I suspect that someone will want to write a bluetooth headset plugin for
pulse that can detect when a bluetooth headset is activated (which would
essentially replace the need to have the bt mac addr in asoundrc. It
could be intelligent enough to be configured so that streams with a
certain regexp are automatically moved such that if e.g. skype or ekiga
is mid call and I just open my headset, by the time I fit to to my ears
pulse has already moved the stream across.... that is theoretically
possible but not implemented yet.