[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio and alsa snd-hda-intel driver

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Mon Jul 21 07:04:29 PDT 2008

   I am trying to get esound compatibility playback from pulseaudio
to work in Fedora 9 (using the most current pulseaudio srpm from
rawhide from 0.9.11-0.6.git20080626). With the pulseaudio server
deinstalled, I get normal playback via direct alsa with aplay
and via oss with audacity. However with the pulseaudio server
installed, I am having no luck with esound compatibility. Any
playback via pulseaudio is highly distorted. I should note that
I am using the latest kernel 2.6.26-git6 which has all of the
alsa-driver 1.0.17 changes merged into it now. I have also replaced
all of the alsa 1.0.16 packages with 1.0.17 versions and rebuilt
pulseaudio against that. This is being used on a MacBook Pro version 2.
    I am loading the snd-hda-intel kernel driver with..

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

and the driver loads fine without additional kernel options.
   I noticed the tickets...

http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/25
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/139

Could my problems be related to ticket 25 since I assume that
I am using the snd-hda-intel driver directly on the hardware?

Do I need to resort to something like the fix mentioned in...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/109439

of commenting...

load-module module-hal-detect
load-module module-detect

in /etc/pulse/default.pa and adding...

load-module module-alsa-sink device=default
load-module module-alsa-source device=default

Thanks in advance as there doesn't seem to be any clear information
out there on using snd-hda-intel with pulseaudio.
             Jack