[pulseaudio-discuss] How to PA -> old ESD

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jun 8 14:15:57 PDT 2008

On Sat, 31.05.08 22:35, Fog_Watch (db5 at exemail.com.au) wrote:

> I am a total PulseAudio/esd noob.  Sorry, I just can't figure this one
> out.
>
> I am wanting to send sound from my Proliant application server to an old
> client X box.  I don't know whether this is possible.
>
> I set up the server with PA 0.9.10 and Mplayer dev-SVN-r26753-4.1.2
> (recent).  I can play an audio file with Mplayer and see a "stream"
> appear in the PA Manager and go out over the network.
>
> The client box is an old Slackware thing.  I can however successfully
> "mpg123 <sound file>" and hear the file.  I thought that I might be
> able to do something like:
> # esd -port 4713 # version 0.2.35 (year 2005)
> to capture the "sink" from the Proliant box and sent it to the sound
> card.  All I get is bothersome silence.
>
> Is it possible to send sound from PA to ESD in this way?  Yes?  Ummm.
> Port wrong for esd?  Anything else?

esd doesn't have any timing information. If you want to use mplayer
remotely on an esd server with lip-sync audio, then you won't have
much success.

PA has a module "module-esound-sink" which you can use to create a
virtual sink that sends all data to a local or remote esd sink.

Please note however, that esd is a mess, don't use it. No timing, no
nothing. Bad stuff. YMMV.