[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume control with hda_intel

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 27 12:19:20 PDT 2008

On Thu, 27.03.08 13:41, Steve Greenland (steveg at moregruel.net) wrote:

> Sound/music playing works fine, but volume control doesn't. What I
> figured out (by watching alsamixer) is that the PA volume control is
> manipulating the "PCM" mixer item, but the stereo analog line-out is
> controlled by the "Front" mixer item. Some searching led me to the
> assertion that PA tries for "Master" and then "PCM", but I couldn't find
> anything that let me change that search in PA. Hopefully, I just failed
> to find it? :-)

No, this is not configurable. If the PCM slider does not work properly
on your sound card, then please report that to ALSA upstream. ALSA
(inofficially) gives the guarantee that "Master" always works for PCM
and "PCM" should be used as fallback. If this doesn't work on your
setup than this is a bug in ALSA.