[pulseaudio-discuss] Airtunes

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 27 13:27:57 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 27.03.08 18:00, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>
>> James Utter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to transmit audio to the Apple Airport Extreme with
>>> pulseaudio?
>> I've just ordered me a cheapish one on ebay and intend to port the
>> raop_play app to a pulse sink module.
>>
>> I'll then either adapt module-zeroconf-discover or copy it to a new
>> module in order to allow for autodiscovery or Airport devices.
>
> I'd recommend splitting this into two modules: One module that browses
> for RAOP devices and then loads the other module for each instance it
> finds. Much like the zeroconf-discover + module-tunnel work right now.

:) I was actually going to use module-tunnel as my base for the actual
sink part so at least I'm in the right ball park.

As I hinted above I'll either modify or copy the zeroconf-discover one.
I presume you'd prefer to make a separate module?

Actually thinking about this, I can ask a small question that I've been
pondering today as it's vaguely relevant.

As Pulse becomes more popular, how do you see managing the various third
party modules that start cropping up? I presume you don't want to
include them all in pulse svn etc. due to the increased overhead on your
good self (unless you dish out SVN accounts to various key people).

Of course one reason to keep it inside the main pulse package would be
exposure of the extended capabilities such modules give to pulse.

So would you like to see more external projects, or keep everything
inhouse? It's not exactly a critical question, and an answer of "I've
not really thought about it" is perfectly acceptable :p