[pulseaudio-discuss] Airtunes

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 27 14:45:15 PDT 2008

On Thu, 27.03.08 20:27, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> >> I'll then either adapt module-zeroconf-discover or copy it to a new
> >> module in order to allow for autodiscovery or Airport devices.
> >
> > I'd recommend splitting this into two modules: One module that browses
> > for RAOP devices and then loads the other module for each instance it
> > finds. Much like the zeroconf-discover + module-tunnel work right now.
>
> :) I was actually going to use module-tunnel as my base for the actual
> sink part so at least I'm in the right ball park.

module-tunnel is certainly the worst module you could have
picked. It's complicated, full of #ifdefs and doesn't even support all
the newest fancy features of the core.

> As I hinted above I'll either modify or copy the zeroconf-discover one.
> I presume you'd prefer to make a separate module?

Hmm, depends. It's up to you. A #ifdef based solution might be useful,
i.e. conditional compilation of the RAOP and module-tunnel parts of
zc-discover. That way you'd be able to share a single source and build
two seperate modules of it. OTOH conditional compilation is a bit out
of fashion these days. The alternative might be to split zc-disocver
into three C files, and then compile two of them for one module and
then two others for the other modules, if you understand what I mean.

> Actually thinking about this, I can ask a small question that I've been
> pondering today as it's vaguely relevant.
>
> As Pulse becomes more popular, how do you see managing the various third
> party modules that start cropping up? I presume you don't want to
> include them all in pulse svn etc. due to the increased overhead on your
> good self (unless you dish out SVN accounts to various key people).

Since I don't guarantee API stability there is practically no other
option than having them integrated in PA upstream. This is what I ask
people for: maintain your stuff in the PA build tree. Then I'll have a
look over them from time to time and there's the chance that I'll be
doing some porting to newer features for you.

I am happy to hand out SVN access to people who submit useful code for
modules to me.

> So would you like to see more external projects, or keep everything
> inhouse? It's not exactly a critical question, and an answer of "I've
> not really thought about it" is perfectly acceptable :p

In house, please.