[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to create stream

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Fri Mar 28 16:51:12 PDT 2008

After upgrading to 0.9.8 from 0.9.6, I have one application which
doesn't want to work with pulse.

I'm attempting to open a recording stream.  Using arecord works fine, so
I know that pulse is okay.

When my application attempts to open the recording stream, I get this
message.
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
Failed to set hwparams: Input/output error

The application is just doing a hw_params call.  This same application
worked fine with 0.9.6.  So, I need to change something, but I don't
know how to debug.

What does Unable to create stream with Input/Output error return message
specifically mean?

     err = snd_pcm_hw_params(handle, hwparams);
     if (err < 0) {
         fprintf(stderr, "Failed to set hwparams: %s\n",
  snd_strerror(err));
         return -1;
     }

Thanks,