[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse module development

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 5 17:32:20 PDT 2008

Nick Thompson wrote:
> On the page on the wiki about developing modules at:
>
> <http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WritingModules>
>
> There's a nifty little tutorial on writing a plugin.  Handy stuff.
> The pulsecore headers are all referenced with prefix "pulsecore", as in:
>
> #include <pulsecore/module.h>
>
> I fished around for any pulse related -dev pkgs that I had not
> installed, but nothing obvious showed up in Synaptic.
>
> So I copied the pulsecore directory from the pulse sources to /usr/
> include and deletec the c files. I also needed to copy the config.h
> file from the pulse directory to /usr/include/pulsecore
>
> My test plugin builds and loads.
>
> Am I missing a package or is the method outlined above the way to go
> (it works on my machine(tm) :)

Your approach is not really the recommended one. The pulsecore API is
not stable and as such isn't installed.

If you are doing module development, the recommended method is to build
it within the pulse tree itself. Simplest way is to do an anonymous svn
checkout.

/me now wishes he'd read that page before embarking on writing his
current module ;)