[pulseaudio-discuss] Alsa-emulation for pulse does not work with Adobe Flash, libflashsupport unstable

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 7 08:22:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, 07.05.08 12:36, Juha Erkkilä (juha.erkkila at opinsys.fi) wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to get Pulseaudio working on a thin client setup.
> My setup is Ubuntu Hardy with LTSP 5, with default configuration
> of the Pulseaudio server running as a system-wide daemon on the
> thin client.

Using ALSA as backend for Flash:

The current version of Flash relies on snd_async_add_pcm_handler() to
be available in ALSA in all cases. This is ugly (especially from a
plugin, since it relies on unix signals), and broken (since they don't
properly handle the signal handler context) and cannot be properly
supported in the PA backend for libasound (unless we'd resort to some
exceptionally ugly hacks, which would have no chances to get
upstream to alsa-plugins).

Using libflashsupport as backend for Flash:

There's a race condition in the way Flash tears down libflashsupport
backends. It's something that cannot be worked around from our
implementation of libflashsupport. See the explanation down on
http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/267 for more information.

We talked to Adobe about these issues. Since Flash is closed source
software we have no other chance than hoping that they will eventually
fix their code.

I guess that is what you get when one depends on closed source
software. Sorry, but I cannot help you any further.