[pulseaudio-discuss] Need Ubuntu Pulse help.

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed May 7 12:35:20 PDT 2008

I just upgraded from Ubuntu GG to Ubuntu HH (8.04) on several laptops.
Just one of them is giving me audio problems. Pulseaudio is now the
default on Ubuntu. Prior to pulse even the problem one had no audio
problems.

Ubuntu has a sound preference application, that lets you test and select
one of auto, alsa, esd, oss, or pulse. On the problem laptop the only
one that works is OSS when I press the test button. On the other
laptops, the pulse test gives the test sound.

When I go to run any of vlc, mplayer, or xine on this laptop I get no
sound. I also don't get Ubuntu's login audio theme.

Mythtv does work, apparently its going directly to OSS.

How do I debug this?

The problem laptop is a Fujitsu S7000. This is a Pentium M laptop with
an intel sound chip.

My .pulse directory looks like

::::::::::::::
default-sink
::::::::::::::
alsa_output.pci_8086_2668_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
::::::::::::::
default-source
::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::
volume-restore.table
pulsecore/protocol-esound.c$GStreamer
1 65536
alsa_output.pci_8086_2668_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

pulsecore/protocol-native.c$gnome-sound-properties
1 65536
alsa_output.pci_8086_2668_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0

and the pulse processes running are

  7253 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog
  7302 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper