[pulseaudio-discuss] Hal detect and multiple outputs

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:44:39 PDT 2008

On 5/23/08, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23.05.08 16:11, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>  > I have Intel HDA audio hardware with both a digital (S/PDIF) and
>  > analog output. When I used module-hal-detect pulse only provided one
>  > sink, 0, which was the analog device.  I fixed this by manually
>  > creating two alsa sinks in pulse config, one for hw:0,0 and hw:0,1.
>  >
>  > Shouldn't pulse and hal been able to automatically figure out that I
>  > have two alsa sinks and given me the option to choose?
>

> Yes, of course. Would be awesome. However, neither HAL nor ALSA
>  provide enough information about whether the SPDIF and analog outputs
>  are exclusive to each other or not.
>
>  If they are not exclusive (which is the case on most devices) we need
>  to be able to switch the output during runtime.

When they are not exclusive there should only be one ALSA device.
I have two playback devices.

jonsmirl at terra:/proc/asound$ cat devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  6: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

I expected HAL to give me a choice of the two playback devices. The
are both visible in gnome-device-manager.

I can tell the analog one from the digital one by the label.
pcm0p name: STAC92xx Analog
pcm1p name: STAC92xx Digital