[pulseaudio-discuss] Hal detect and multiple outputs

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri May 23 16:50:15 PDT 2008

On 5/23/08, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/23/08, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>  > On Fri, 23.05.08 16:11, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:
>  >
>  >  > I have Intel HDA audio hardware with both a digital (S/PDIF) and
>  >  > analog output. When I used module-hal-detect pulse only provided one
>  >  > sink, 0, which was the analog device.  I fixed this by manually
>  >  > creating two alsa sinks in pulse config, one for hw:0,0 and hw:0,1.
>  >  >
>  >  > Shouldn't pulse and hal been able to automatically figure out that I
>  >  > have two alsa sinks and given me the option to choose?
>  >
>  >
>  > Yes, of course. Would be awesome. However, neither HAL nor ALSA
>  >  provide enough information about whether the SPDIF and analog outputs
>  >  are exclusive to each other or not.
>  >
>  >  If they are not exclusive (which is the case on most devices) we need
>  >  to be able to switch the output during runtime.

Are you sure they aren't exclusive most of the time? S/PDIF is
assigned a separate slot in both the HDA and AC97 protocols. That
makes me think that they should be exclusive in most hardware. Now of
course the driver may be cloning the output in software.

I have five different audio chips on my desk and they all have S/PDIF
and analog out on separate hardware channels. I'm working the STAC9766
driver to add support for S/PDIF out.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com