[pulseaudio-discuss] Permanently binding an application to a sink?

timo dmtimo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:03:43 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> timo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering if there is any way to permanently bind an application
>> to a specified sink.
>>
>> I have 2 audio output devices; a built-in soundcard which is connected
>> to my desk speakers,
>> and a high-end external USB-audio device that is connected to my main
>> amp and living room
>> speakers. What i'm looking for is way to always route my mp3/flac
>> player applications
>> (rhythmbox, audacious, etc) to the external audio device, while all
>> other applications use
>> the default sink, which would in this case be the internal sound card.
>>
>> At the moment i'm pointing the streams to the appropriate sink using
>> pavucontrol, but i
>> have to do that every time the stream starts, otherwise it will revert
>> back to the default sink.
>> So i'm basically looking for a way to make these choices permanent, any ideas?
>
> Hmmm, what version are you using?
>
> Pulse should remember the device you've moved a stream to for a given
> application (in older versions this is handled by module-volume-restore
> - a bad name!, but in newer versions it's done by IIRC
> module-stream-restore)

I'm using version 0.9.10, on Ubuntu 8.10

I have module-volume-restore enabled in the config, but it doesn't stop the
reverting behaviour. Even hitting stop and then play on the streaming
application is enough to have the stream reverted to the default sink.

I had noticed module-stream-restore was introduced in 0.9.11, but i figured
this sort of feature would have existed in earlier versions as well.