[pulseaudio-discuss] Lost audio on headphones on Fedora 9

Andre Costa blueser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 06:26:33 PST 2008

Hi Colin,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:16, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Andre Costa wrote:
> > Any help will be appreciated. Let me know what kind of additional info I
> > should provide.
>
> It's unlikely that any of the controls in pulse itself will help as it
> only exposes a very minimal subset of lower level alsa controls.
>
> Chances are the problem is at the alsa level, more than likely a control
> toggle or an independent headphone volume slider that is set to zero or
> something.
>
> To access alsa configuration, you will need to run the alsa mixer on the
> hardware directly rather than on the "default" alsa device which is
> probably setup to direct things to pulse (and thus will only expose
> afore mentioned minimal controls).
>
> To do this in a console you can run: alsamixer -c 0
>
> Or you can use a GUI alsa mixer like gnome-alsamixer which will only
> look at hardware devices.
>
> HTHs and you find a solution fiddling about with a control there.

Thks for the tip, alsamixer -c 0 indeed shows all the options. "Headphone"
is there, and even though it doesn't have volume levels to play with, it is
unmuted and should be playing allright AFAIK.

However, I guessed you pointed me the right direction: ALSA. Searching on
Google I found this:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/11/412

The symptoms seem to be exactly the same. This thread took place on
Feb/2008, but I could be experiencing a regression bug, maybe...

This also seemed promising:

http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg23600.html

But increasing number of channels to 6 didn't help...

More info on the model of my card:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

(couldn't find any specific option for it on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelHdaDriverOptions -- ALC888 isn't even
mentioned yet)

Any more ideas? I guess I'll try ALSA forums anyway and, depending on the
result, file a bug report on Fedora Bugzilla...

Thks a lot,

Andre