[pulseaudio-discuss] question about parameter "server" for paplay on 0.9.13?

Chen, Hao H hao.h.chen at intel.com
Thu Nov 20 21:29:08 PST 2008

On version 0.9.13:
===============
By printing debug information, I found default server name  is  "/root/.pulse/localhost.localdomain:runtime/native", in fact "/root/.pulse/localhost.localdomain:runtime " is symbole link to "/tmp/pulse-jCDIIAIDl73a". (everytime the name is different, while pattern is /tmp/pulse-<random>)

The files in directory "/tmp/pulse-<random>" would be generated everytime PA server starts up and cleaned when PA quits.

So I tried to "paplay --server=/root/.pulse/localhost.localdomain:runtime/native <wav file>", it's working.

On version 0.9.10:
/tmp/pulse-<user>/ would be used, ex "/tmp/pulse-root"
I tried "paplay --server=/tmp/pulse-root/native <wav>" it's working, while I couldn't find where the symbol link is.

Some points
=> It's not easy to guess server name like this. It's better to have it documented or put in help info.
=> In addition, for PA server on other PC in the same network, how to specify the server name?

Hao