[pulseaudio-discuss] libcanberra should be an optional dependency for pavucontrol

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 6 11:24:00 PDT 2008

On Mon, 06.10.08 14:09, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:

Heya,

> The GIT branch of pavucontrol and the latest stable release strictly
> depends on libcanberra for managing the event sounds' volume. I think
> that this dependency should be made "optional" so that the distributions
> with KDE desktop environment can compile it without depending on
> libcanberra.

Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. What are you asking me for next?
Maybe that the dep on gtk should become optional too?

I never bought that "dependency hell" moaning. I mean, the point of
the distros and the point of things like "yum" and "apt-get" is to
hide the dependency system from you.

What's the problem with libcanberra? It's a tiny library. It exposes
only a handful of functions. You are welcome to compile the "null"
backend in if you really want no audio. If you do that it is just a
handful on kilobytes.

I also don't see why depending on pavucontrol has anything to do with
running KDE or not. libcanberra is not a gtk library -- it does not
depend on anything like glib or other g'ish stuff. If you believe that
KDE users should not get sound feedback then it is very easy to set
CANBERRA_DRIVER=null for your KDE sessions.

Sorry, but what you request is not going to happen. At least not as
long as I need to maintain pavucontrol. (hint, hint: I have been
looking for someone else to maintain this package for quite a
while. Noone interested and capable has shown up yet)

Polluting my sources with lots if #ifdefs for nothing is not going to
happen especially if I cannot even remotely see what good that would be for.

(oh, and if it is ecc9ad9b06184dc2a4d2bc8da581d8bca0ae67aa what you
are speaking of you are removing from your builds -- from all commits
in the repo that's the one I seriously fucked up and accidently
commited three things in one. I had hoped nobody would notice this
sin of my youth, but apparently this is now coming after me. The
commit contains some important fixes, too.)

Sorry,