[pulseaudio-discuss] Segmentation fault when load module-alsa-sink by commandline

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 9 01:05:32 PDT 2008

Hi,

Zhang, Xing Z wrote:
> I am newbie to PA. Now I am trying to enable PA from scratch. When I
> enter “load-module module-alsa-sink” it complains “no such file
> found”, then I launch PA with param “-p /usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules/”
> unfortunately a segmentation fault happen while I load
> module-alsa-sink. I notice default.pa uses module-hal-detect instead
> of directly loading module-asla-xxx, so I want to know whether the
> issue I met is a known bug? Or any other methods to load
> module-alsa-xxx by manual?
>
> BTW: I did above things in command line interface(pulseaudio –nC) and
> the PA version is 0.9.13)

Most people prefer to just use PA with the default config, but if you're
trying to use for e.g. embedded purposes etc, there may be good reason
not to do this.

Generally speaking, you can load up pulseaudio and then attach to it via
the command line tools (pacmd, pactl) in order to load the sinks etc. To
do this, you need to have some kind of basic default.pa script to load
the protocol modules in order to allow the later attaching by
pacmd/pactl and other pulseaudio clients.

If you have compiled pulse with debugging symbols, the backtrace
produced by pulse when it crashes would be useful to help debug.

You can use "ulimit -c unlimited" before running pulse and that should
cause a core dump which can then be analysed with gdb.

I know this isn't the most helpful of replies, but I'd start off with
the default.pa and then strip it back bit by bit :)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]