[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio gives low-volume white noise

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 13 08:25:19 PDT 2008

hi,

i'm using pulseaudio under ubuntu hardy, with an uptodate hardy package
( 0.9.10-1ubuntu1).  Pulse has worked great for me since shortly after i
installed it, some months ago.  i do have an occasional problem on
wakeup after suspend to ram, where sound disappears; usually i reboot
and the problem goes away.  yesterday i had this issue, and tried a
couple of things to fix it -- modprobe -r
snd_hda_intel, /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart, pulseaudio --kill....
nothing seemed to fix my problem, so i rebooted.  on reboot i found
thatt pulse STILL wasn't working -- clients could connect to the server,
and the volume manager still displayed their streams as per normal, but
theo nly sound that was produced was a low-volume staticky output from
my laptop's speakers.  in dispair, i killed pulseaudio and tried
listening directly using the ALSA sink in my player (vlc first, then
rhythmbox and amarok).  all of these seem to work.  so it seems to me i
messed up my pulseaudio set up somehow, but i didn't play with any
configuration files, and I don't know how whatever it is i did could
have survived several successive reboots.  the only errors i get in
syslog look like this:

> Oct 12 20:59:05 gont pulseaudio[6969]: module-alsa-sink.c: Got POLLERR from ALSA
> Oct 12 20:59:05 gont pulseaudio[6969]: module-alsa-sink.c: Got POLLERR from ALSA
> Oct 12 21:28:28 gont pulseaudio[6965]: socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol
> Oct 12 21:28:28 gont pulseaudio[6965]: socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol

the POLLERR messages are from before my problem began; the "address
family not supported" messages begin when my problem starts.  i tried
disabling network support in paprefs; this makes the error messages go
away but doesn't solve my problem.

i'd love to solve this problem -- if there's anything you can
suggest....

thanks much!

matt

--