[pulseaudio-discuss] A possibly interesting PA-related kernel patch

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Oct 13 14:46:06 PDT 2008

If anyone's interested in getting glitch-free playback working on
hardware too old to have an HPET, you too can force the kernel to use
your TSC as a high-res timer source with Jeff Hansen's patch here:

<http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/10/235>

It's probably best used only on a system that you know doesn't use ACPI
or SMI for much if anything and which doesn't get 'tsc: clocksource is
unstable' warnings. It's probably almost always safe on a uniprocessor:
it's not as if the TSC can get out of sync with respect to anything else
on that (well, it can get out of sync with respect to real-world time,
but not seriously enough to notice in my experience).

I'm using it here and it's working great. (Now my only problem is that
my Ogg player is playing music over a saturated network link and is
consequently glitching like crazy ;} )