[pulseaudio-discuss] Project: Dual, Simultaneous Bluetooth Audio Sinks

Richi Plana richip at richip.dhs.org
Wed Oct 15 22:20:25 PDT 2008

Hi,

I recently bought two Motorola MotoRokr S9's with the intent of playing
an audio stream simultaneously out of them from my HP laptop running
Fedora 9.

First of all, does anyone know off of the top of their head how to make
this work? Has anyone actually done something similar?

So far, I've configured ALSA to recognize each device with the ff.
~/.asoundrc:

pcm.bluetooth {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm "bluetooth_hw"
	}
}

pcm.bluetooth_hw {
	type bluetooth
	device 11:11:11:11:11:11
	profile "auto"
}

pcm.bluetooth2 {
	type plug
	slave {
		pcm "bluetooth2_hw"
	}
}

pcm.bluetooth2_hw {
	type bluetooth
	device 22:22:22:22:22:22
	profile "auto"
}

With just plain ALSA, I can't seem to get two mplayer instances to play
audio to both simultaneously. Not sure if this is a hardware limitation
or a driver one.

Anyway, I also did try running "pactl load-module module-alsa-(sink|
source) device=" with both devices, and though it would sometimes work,
sometimes it would end up killing pulseaudio. When I try to switch the
stream from the onboard audio device to the headset, it kills PA. When I
switch the stream to the Simultaenous Play virtual device, it kills PA.

Right now, I'm just looking for insights and ideas on what the best
approach to take is. Hoping for your technical thoughts.
--

Richi Plana