[pulseaudio-discuss] Latency information

Knut-Håvard Aksnes kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu
Sun Oct 26 12:58:53 PDT 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 08.10.08 21:06, Knut-Håvard Aksnes (kna at tirsdagsklubben.nu) wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to set up the asynchronous API  in such a way that
>> latency information is updated before the first audio fragment appears,
>> and ideally updated with every arriving audio segment?
>> I am trying to merge the audio with video from other sources, and need
>> precise latency information, within a tolerance of 15ms for the entire
>> audio stream.
>>

> No, this is unfortunately not possible.
>
> I thought about including timing information in every single PCM data
> transfer. But there's nothing concrete yet. Sorry.

Including timing information in every PCM data transfer is exactly what
I want. Please consider it again at a later stage, at the time being the
existing timing information is probably "good enough" for my customer.
(I am working as consultant.) The code I am working on  will probably be
made available under an open source license at a later stage when the
code has been stabilized.