[pulseaudio-discuss] Was Pulseaudio crashes is now; Is it really working?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 10:27:14 PDT 2008

Just installed the latest from source (git) and after going through
removing what was installed by Fedora and then installing all of the
required dependencies and the downloaded version from git. It appeared
to be working, however my system sound on login doesn't play. When I
open the sound test gui from preferences I noticed that PulseAudio is
not any of the choices, and none of the tests work. When I go to the tab
for system sounds they all work fine when I "play" them. Rhythmbox seems
to work although I'll believe it after a few days of nonstop use. Due to
the tests in the gui failing, I'm wondering if the audio is actually
going through PulseAudio or is it just going through the ALSA driver(s).
When I do a ps -ef | grep pulseaudio I get: scott     3135     1  0
07:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start, so I'm assuming
that it is starting.

I have also run the sound config gui from the cli command
"gnome-sound-properties", and get the following when I test Sound
playback which is normally set to Autodetect I get the following response:
sound-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'audiotestsrc wave=sine
freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink': Resource not
found. [gstjackaudiosink.c(427): gst_jack_ring_buffer_open_device ():
/autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-jackaudio:
Cannot connect to the Jack server (status 17)]
So can someone tell me is pulsaudio is running? If not, what am I
missing? Can I fix it, and how?

TIA
Scott