[pulseaudio-discuss] Was Pulseaudio crashes is now; Is it really working?

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Oct 27 10:39:52 PDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Just installed the latest from source (git) and after going through
> removing what was installed by Fedora and then installing all of the
> required dependencies and the downloaded version from git. It appeared
> to be working, however my system sound on login doesn't play. When I
> open the sound test gui from preferences I noticed that PulseAudio is
> not any of the choices, and none of the tests work. When I go to the tab
> for system sounds they all work fine when I "play" them. Rhythmbox seems
> to work although I'll believe it after a few days of nonstop use. Due to
> the tests in the gui failing, I'm wondering if the audio is actually
> going through PulseAudio or is it just going through the ALSA driver(s).
> When I do a ps -ef | grep pulseaudio I get: scott     3135     1  0
> 07:36 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start, so I'm assuming
> that it is starting.
>
> I have also run the sound config gui from the cli command
> "gnome-sound-properties", and get the following when I test Sound
> playback which is normally set to Autodetect I get the following response:
> sound-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'audiotestsrc wave=sine
> freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink': Resource not
> found. [gstjackaudiosink.c(427): gst_jack_ring_buffer_open_device ():
> /autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-jackaudio:
> Cannot connect to the Jack server (status 17)]
> So can someone tell me is pulsaudio is running? If not, what am I
> missing? Can I fix it, and how?
>
> TIA
> Scott

This maybe a little irregular to reply to my own post, but I need to add
something. Do I need to manually re-add pulse groups and users
(pulse-rt)? I've noticed that in the past the system had some
groups/users related to Pulseaudio and I had to add myself to the
group(s). They are no longer there. When I do the cli command;

pulseaudio --version I get;

I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root priviliges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was
requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant
us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the
appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or
increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
W: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled in configuration but not
allowed by policy.
pulseaudio 0.9.13

Again TIA
Scott