[pulseaudio-discuss] Was Pulseaudio crashes is now; Is it really working?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 28 02:47:41 PDT 2008

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Playback has nothing
> Output Devices has Null Output
> Input Devices has HDA ATI SB - ALC882 Analog

Then this means that pulse cannot open your real audio hardware and has
loaded a Null output instead. You need to work out why pulse could not
open your hardware. Running pulseaudio -k and then pulseaudio -vvv will
usually give the necessary debug info for you to work out what the cause is.

> I now am getting errors when I test the audio output in
> gstreamer-properties;
>
> gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'PulseAudio Sound
> Server': Failed to connect stream: Invalid argument [pulsesink.c(399):
> gst_pulsesink_prepare (): /pipeline1/pulsesink2]

Dunno what that error is. I'm guessing it doesn't like connecting to
your server. Perhaps the it's using the old pulse client library that is
still hanging around on your system? Unlikely tho' if pavucontrol works.

> It works fine if I select the ALSA plugin.

Indeed but you clearly do not have alsa configured to route sound via
pulseaudio plugin (which is generally recommended if you are using
pulse) - probably due to removing all the pulse packages, but as I don't
use Fedora I'm not sure how this works there.

To be honest, if you're not really overly confident fiddling with quite
low level stuff in terms of distro, then compiling your own server from
source was probably not the best idea! Using /usr as a prefix was
definitely a bad idea! Personally I'd have recompiled the rawhide SRPM
and installed that if I was going to fiddle in a "just use it" kinda
way. The only reason I'd use source is if I plan to develop and code
(well, this is perhaps not true in my case these days, but certainly for
those who are not super familiar with source-installs, it helps keep
their system cleaner if they avoid it).

Not really sure how best to advise you here. I guess try and work out
why pulse is not opening your sound device, then route your alsa via
pulse and hopefully everything will work again.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]