[pulseaudio-discuss] System mode and pactl

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 30 18:02:01 PDT 2008

On Thu, 30.10.08 18:25, Rafał Mużyło (galtgendo at o2.pl) wrote:

> First of all, I'd like to thank Colin for the hint to get the patches
> from rawhide rpm. While I can see all the patches on gitweb,
> there's so many of them, it's hard to tell which should I get.
> With those patches 0.9.13 seems to work just as good as 0.9.12 did
> (without them I was often getting 'killed by cpu usage' message).
>
> Now, the problem.
> I'm running pulseaudio daemon in system mode by a dedicated
> (a nologin) user. However, in these conditions pactl fails to work.
> What would be the simplest way to connect to that deamon,
> the way pactl does ? Also, for a system deamon using module-hal-detect,
> what would be a correct way to pass options to module-alsa-sink ?

Are you sure you mean pactl and not pacmd? pactl works fine in system
mode.

pacmd simly sends PA an USR1 (which won't work across user boundaries,
which is why you cannot use it as normal user to control a system
daemon). USR1 causes PA to load module-cli-protocol-unix, which
basically just creates a unix socket somewhere in the runtime dir of
PA (/var/run/pulse or something) When you connect to that socket you
can issue our commands interactively. You can use "socat" for doing
stuff like that.

> PS.: am I just unlucky or is it really that hard to get some help
> on the irc channel ?

Depends on the time. Sometimes I (mezcalero) am very
responsive. Sometimes I am not. Sometimes Colin (coling) is around,
who's always a good man to ask.

If you talk to me directly, I should usually respond withing 12h or
so. (Unless I am tarvekling).