[pulseaudio-discuss] Macbook Pro specific problem

Nick Thompson rextanka at comcast.net
Tue Sep 2 09:46:57 PDT 2008

The speaker is disabled on that side when the mic is active in Mac OS
X.  This is true of all MacBook Pro versions Apple has shipped.  The
switching happens in the driver for the codec in onboard audio.

You really have two options.

First is you could modify the alsa driver for the ALC885 (if if it's
an earlier model the Sigmatel 9220) to mute the channel the speaker is
on when the Mic is active.

Second option is two write a PulseAudio module that intercepts source-
output creation and when active mixes the sink-input for the speakers
to mono and output silence on the left channel and the mixed signal on
the right.  This is going to be the path of least resistance, since if
you are not a driver guy, then the driver may be more pain than you
want.

Either is going to require you write some code though.  However the
module part is not too difficult once you get your head around the
APIs - the example modules have a few clues on how to do this too.

-- Nick