[pulseaudio-discuss] bootstrap.sh autoconf build errors

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 22 14:19:34 PDT 2008

On Tue, 16.09.08 14:47, rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de (rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de) wrote:

> I get the same errors in these scenarios:
>   1) cross-compiling under Cygwin

Please note that cross-compiling is not tested by me. I would not
assume that this actually works.

Also, PA's Win32 support hasn't been update since quite a while. You
probably need to do some non-trivial patching to get things working
again with a current PA. Also, the Win32 port was done using MinGW,
not Cygwin.

>   2) compiling (for the native target) under Debian 4.0
>     (standard Intel processor).
>
> I have manually tracked down the latest versions of all dependencies
> I could find and manually built them fresh. These are:
>
>  autoconf-2.62 automake-1.10.1 m4-1.4.11 intltool-0.40.3
>  gettext-0.17 gdbm-1.8.3 libatomic_ops-1.2 libsndfile-1.0.17
>  liboil-0.3.15 glib-2.18.0 libtool-1.5.26

These are basically the same version numbers as are default in Rawhide
ride now, which I use to build PA, so the deps should be correct.

> The "important" errors are probably the 3 last lines. It must be
> some silly setting I've not set correctly for the autotools. I've
> tried "autoconf -v -Wall", but the verbose output does not seem to
> give any good hints.
>
> I would also like to know why I'm getting "obsolete" warnings for
> the various M4 macros. Should I expect no warnings if I'm using the
> latest versions of all the tools and libraries?

Some people still want to build PA from git with older autoconf,
that's why the configure scripts don't fully conform to the newest
release. However, I am tempted to simply ignore those poor people and
update the configure script. (Some warnings are generated by other
people's ac scripts, though and won't go away).

> ../../lib/autoconf/status.m4:1021: AC_OUTPUT_COMMANDS is expanded from...
> configure.ac:35: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:74: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DEFINE
> configure.ac:98: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
> configure.ac:228: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_FUNCS

I have never seen this bug before. But if if I understood correctly
you installed autoconf and stuff into some subdir of $HOME? Then I'd
guess that you have some path issue here: the autoconf version you use
here might reference the system version of the m4 scripts.

But that's just a guess. I fear I cannot help you any further. All I
know is that it compiles out of the box on Fedora Rawhide, and that I
am pretty sure that there is nothing in the configure scripts that
should disallow building on non-Rawhide.