[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Bluetooth

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Apr 17 06:37:36 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Brian J. Murrell at 17/04/09 12:49 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 21:26 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> Heya!
>
> Hi,
>
>> So you want to get BT audio working with PA?
>
> I'd be happy just to have BT audio working in any manner at all, but for
> over a year it's been a non-starting struggle.
>
>> Then please make sure to
>> run the following minimal versions:
>>
>>     bluez 4.35
>>     pulseaudio 0.9.15 (final!)
>>     gnome-bluetooth 2.27.4
>>     kernel 2.6.29 with http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/kernel/git-bluetooth.patch?revision=1.2 applied
>
> Heh.  This seems to _always_ be the case for BT.  If I had a nickel for
> every time I heard/read "the next kernel release will solve that" (and
> of course, the corollary: "just add these patches to your kernel")...

Would you prefer if someone just said: "add secretfoo=xyf134jdah49d81238
to your kernel command line and it'll just work... it's true, I read it
on a cereal packet."???

Well you probably would, but come on! Do you honestly expect things to
work all by themselves? A lot of people put in very hard work to get
things to work, and all you can do is complain about how this hard work
means you wont get it until someone else packages it up for you?

You have the ultimate choice. You can go for a commercial OS and ensure
that vendor has support for what you want, or you can get your hands
dirty and help the people doing the hard work to make it operate the way
you want, or you can wait patiently until it all works. I personally
take the second option.

All you're going to achieve by moaning is pissing off the people who do
put in the hard work and who are the ones most able to help you when you
get stuck. That's generally not a wise move!

Sure, everyone gets pissed of at the pace of development sometimes, and
I know you acknowledged that it "wasn't [Lennart's] fault, but
complaining about it solves nothing.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]