[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio Delay with Mythtv

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Apr 18 08:20:40 PDT 2009

Recently the trunk build of Mythtv checks if pulseaudio is running and
aborts if it does. This is because of the rather large audio delay it
induces and the resulting sync with video issue.

Here is the reference

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5473

particularly:

  Changed 3 months ago by sPOiDar  ¶

FYI, I get ~300ms lag on 0.22 with audiooutpulse-0.12.2 when using pulse.

  Changed 13 days ago by danielk ¶

(In [20310]) Refs #5473. Adds a check for PulseAudio? at startup of
mythfrontend and mythtv. PulseAudio? causes delays that range randomly
between 500-2000 ms when playing back audio, so we abort startup if the
pulse audio server is currently running. Note: I've referenced a ticket
that adds PulseAudio? support to MythTV, but even using the PulseAudio?
API's the delay is still 300 ms; if we can get that down in the 20 to 50
ms range we can adjust when we display the video frames to compensate
for the delay (which we should be doing anyway when using multiframe
deinterlacers).

---

I haven't contributed to that thread, but observed the same random delay
and just realized it was pulse related when myth made me turn off pulse.

Any thoughts on this?