[pulseaudio-discuss] limits on maximum device volume?

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Mon Apr 27 06:56:29 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:24:01PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > 1. Make the sink volume in the UI *only* ever reflect the *reference*
> > volume level, irrespective of what the actual playback level is as
> > modified by the stream levels.
>
> Hmm, Marc-Andre and I have discussed this. We are actually thinking of
> showing the maximum of both volumes in the UI.

It’ll still move around though if you do it that way and I think that is
the major cause for confusion.

> > 2. Cap all stream volumes to 100%. I don’t want distorted sound, ever,
> > period.
>
> I don't think it's that simple. We had quite a few requests to allow
> this. And even I myself use it sometimes if I watch a movie on my BT
> headphone. Some movies are just too faint if the volume is at max in
> my headphones.

I would be nice if it were optional though, as it’s only useful in very
specific (and very crappy) hardware cases.

> I think the UI should make clear where 100% is but allow the user to
> go even higher if he wants to. OTOH I am not sure the majority of
> people would grok what 100% in this case means...

I would leave the concept of 100% as maximum in the UI and add a sink
configuration option to overdriving the device to xxx% and then
internally adjust what 100% means.

> > If the user tries to set the relative volume such that the hardware
> > can’t actually do it, then it’s just tough cheese. If a stream is
> > playing at sink+20% and the user raises the sink to 100%, then the stream
> > must not go over 100%. The same goes for restored stream levels.
>
> My plan is actually to do dynamic range compression when amplifying
> digitally. That should minimize artifacts.

Ewwww, compression is pretty nasty. Is hardware that needs digital
amplification really that common? I‘ve never had any digital audio
device like that. In fact, most are more likely to damage your hearing
than be too quiet!

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com