[pulseaudio-discuss] limits on maximum device volume?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 27 08:36:11 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27.04.09 15:56, CJ van den Berg (cj at vdbonline.com) wrote:

> > > If the user tries to set the relative volume such that the hardware
> > > can’t actually do it, then it’s just tough cheese. If a stream is
> > > playing at sink+20% and the user raises the sink to 100%, then the stream
> > > must not go over 100%. The same goes for restored stream levels.
> >
> > My plan is actually to do dynamic range compression when amplifying
> > digitally. That should minimize artifacts.
>
> Ewwww, compression is pretty nasty. Is hardware that needs digital
> amplification really that common? I‘ve never had any digital audio
> device like that. In fact, most are more likely to damage your hearing
> than be too quiet!

Sure, compression is nasty. But still better then clipping.

And I think you'll have the problem on quite a few BT headphones. I at
least do on both my a2dp headphones with some movies. And then there
are some laptops with internal speakers where this might actually
apply, too.

I mean, it doesn't just depend on the hardware, it also depends on the
media you play.