[pulseaudio-discuss] Difference between (pa_simple_new + pa_simple_read) and pa_stream_connect_record

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 4 16:08:09 PDT 2009

On Wed, 29.07.09 10:46, Alvaro Alonso Jiménez (alvaroalo at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have looked into the API and I have realised that there are two ways of
> choosing the PulseAudio API for clients, one simple and the other
> asynchronous. I have been trying to use the simple one for my purpose (I
> need to record an audio stream, but by using the simple one the system waits
> for an application generating sound, so it was not the one I needed), so I
> would like to try the asynchronous one... However, I am not sure how to
> record an audio stream using the asynchronous one, and the example the API
> provides is not clarifying at all..
>
> I beg you whatever hint you could give me.

The doxygen docs give a very terse introduction about the
asyhnchronous mode.

http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pulseaudio/doxygen/

Basically you have to run some kind of event loop. In your case it's a
good idea to use the threaded loop I guess. A good example how to use
that one is actually the implementation of the simple API:

http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=blob;f=src/pulse/simple.c

Yes, the API is not easy to use and we don't have a step-by-step
introduction to it. Sorry for that.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net