[pulseaudio-discuss] alsa-util.c: Unable to attach to mixer

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 7 02:23:58 PDT 2009

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:

> On Thu, 31.07.08 09:19, Ben Finney (bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au) wrote:
> > The daemon is to be started as a system service on startup, since no
> > users will be logging in; see earlier in the thread for why
> > (summary: this is a networked host with the desired audio devices,
> > which is one reason PulseAudio is attractive).
>
> If you do this, then specify --system.

In the upgrade to (Debian's) pulseaudio 0.9.15, I see there is now
separate ‘/etc/pulse/default.pa’ and ‘/etc/pulse/system.pa’. Once I
figured this out, this makes it much clearer how to configure the two
separate modes.

Thank you to the PulseAudio team for continuing attention to detail!

--
 \     “I went to the cinema, it said ‘Adults: $5.00, Children $2.50’. |
  `\          So I said ‘Give me two boys and a girl.’” —Steven Wright |