[pulseaudio-discuss] main.c: daemon startup failed.

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 7 02:18:15 PDT 2009

Sean McNamara <smcnam at gmail.com> writes:

> I like this suggestion. It should be possible (barring any untrapped
> signals or segfaults) to keep a list of modules which have caused a
> fatal error, and report them once the default.pa file has completed;
> something like this:
>
> Daemon startup failed.
> The following modules encountered fatal errors:
> ======
> module-alsa-source
> module-x11-publish
> ======
> Consider disabling these modules or modifying their parameters.

I have upgraded to (Debian's package of) pulseaudio 0.9.15 and had some
trouble that needed diagnosis of failure again; this behaviour would
have been helpful.

> But I agree that better error message reporting would be useful. You
> could look to me for a patch, but it might take some prodding ;)

Consider this a prod :-) If you know how to describe this in the BTS,
I'd appreciate a link to the resulting report.

--
 \      “Some forms of reality are so horrible we refuse to face them, |
  `\     unless we are trapped into it by comedy. To label any subject |