[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 10 12:36:37 PDT 2009

On Tue, 11.08.09 05:25, Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey at boosthardware.com) wrote:

>> That Skype is a mess is not really anything free software folks can do
>> anything about. It's closed source. The Linux version is barely
>> maintained and does about everything wrong that it can do wrong. I
>> know that some folks believe that Skype's incompat with PA is my
>> problem. But quite frankly, it is not. It's Skype's problem.
>
> It's not actually. It's the users problem because when they use skype
> they can't use pulseaudio. Unless of course they have a second sound
> device such as a usb phone. I personally do have one and maybe it should
> be recommended as the correct way to use skype on a Linux Audio
> system.

Hmm, not sure why having a second audio device should solve any
problems Skype has with PA. Everything Skype can do with the second
audio device it should be able to do with the first.

>> Also, Realplayer? Why would anyone want to use that?
>
> I understand where your coming from but I think it's a crossover issue
> more than anything. People want to use what tehy are comfortable with
> and if there is a choice between realplayer and mplayer a lot of people
> will choose realplayer.

We ship Totem in Fedora, installed by default. I am pretty sure most
other distributions do that too. People really should use Totem. We
ship neither realplayer nor mplayer.

> Skype has is the most secure voip system in the world. In fact it is so
> secure that even the CIA has put a couple billion dollars bounty on a
> reliable method to tap it. It's still the most popular voip solution in
> the world and there is only one way we can use it on Linux.

Oha!

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net