[pulseaudio-discuss] installing header files

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 11 01:56:15 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 10/08/09 20:36 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, 11.08.09 05:25, Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey at boosthardware.com) wrote:
>
>>> That Skype is a mess is not really anything free software folks can do
>>> anything about. It's closed source. The Linux version is barely
>>> maintained and does about everything wrong that it can do wrong. I
>>> know that some folks believe that Skype's incompat with PA is my
>>> problem. But quite frankly, it is not. It's Skype's problem.
>> It's not actually. It's the users problem because when they use skype
>> they can't use pulseaudio. Unless of course they have a second sound
>> device such as a usb phone. I personally do have one and maybe it should
>> be recommended as the correct way to use skype on a Linux Audio
>> system.
>
> Hmm, not sure why having a second audio device should solve any
> problems Skype has with PA. Everything Skype can do with the second
> audio device it should be able to do with the first.

I think it's more to do with letting pulseaudio use the first device and
letting skype use the second device directly (e.g. not going through
pulse) which, through luck or pixie dust, works fine.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]