[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse -> ALSA:spdif broken on my Fedora 10 system.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:23:40 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Lennart
Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 17.08.09 22:10, Richard Shaw (hobbes1069 at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure when it actually got broken but I recently tried playing
>> some music in Exaile and it was a no-go. I have had this working
>> before because I was resampling output from mythmusic before I figured
>> out that my hardware and receiver could handle 44.1kHz PCM audio. When
>> I pull up pavucontrol it thinks the digital output it's working as I
>> can see the level meter operating as expected.
>
> You need to explain more precisely what is not working.

Sorry, I was trying to not to repeat the subject line. Basically
everything (every combination) is working except Pulse to ALSA:spdif.
The level meter in pavucontrol shows activity like I would expect but
I don't get any sound.

>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 format=s16le rate=48000
>> channels=2 sink_name=digital.
>
> Don't use "hw:xxxx" devices. Always use high-level devices such as
> "spdif:xxx". The former won't set up your controls correctly, the
> latter will.

Thanks, I did the best I could from scouring the pulse documentation
by myself as I try to be self sufficient. I'll try that.

Richard