[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse -> ALSA:spdif broken on my Fedora 10 system.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:36:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Lennart
Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1 format=s16le rate=48000
>> channels=2 sink_name=digital.
>
> Don't use "hw:xxxx" devices. Always use high-level devices such as
> "spdif:xxx". The former won't set up your controls correctly, the
> latter will.

In reviewing the wiki I noticed the following:
---
module-alsa-sink

Provides a playback sink for devices supported by the Advanced Linux
Sound Architecture (ALSA). The sink name defaults to alsa_output.

In addition to the general device driver options described above this
module supports:

    device

        The ALSA device to use. (defaults to "hw:0,0")

    fragments

        The desired fragments when opening the device. (defaults to 12)

    fragment_size

        The desired fragment size in bytes when opening the device
(defaults to 1024)
---

Perhaps it should be updated since the device section would lead one
to believe that the hw:x,x nomenclature is the proper way to set the
device argument. I don't think at this point I'm enough of an expert
on PA to do it otherwise I would volunteer.

Thanks,
Richard