[pulseaudio-discuss] /var/lib/pulse permissions issue

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 31 15:53:52 PDT 2009

On Sun, 30.08.09 16:36, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade to FC11, which comes with pulseaudio 0.15 release.
>
> My environment is a little odd.  I have a bunch of headless machines
> which share a diskless root file system mounted over NFS.  Each machine
> has it's own /var directory, however, each var directory is created with
> a link, with another link to a common /var/lib directory (long
> story).

This is broken. /var cannot be shared among machines. You should not
try that.

> I'm trying to get around this by using environment variables.
> I look at the source code, and determined this *should* work.

When in system mode we actually override these variables to point to
the builtin definition.

I have now changed this a bit in PA git, so that the variables are no
longer overwritten onconditionally.

> I: main.c: Using runtime directory /var/run/pulse.
> E: core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory: Permission denied

For safety reasons we verify that runtime and state dirs are proper
directories and owned by us. If we didn't people might play games with
us putting symlinks at various places.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net