[pulseaudio-discuss] Folks with broken sound drivers

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 22 10:33:48 PST 2009

On Sun, 22.02.09 17:28, Mark Greenwood (fatgerman at ntlworld.com) wrote:

> On Sunday 22 February 2009 16:44:14 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Heya!
> >
> > I have added a a few paragraphs to the end of
> > http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/BrokenSoundDrivers.
> >
> > If you have a sound card in question where timing seems to be
> > unreliable, please follow what.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Lennart
> >
> Hi Lennart,
>
> What exactly do you mean by 'broken' sound drivers? What effects
> might we notice if our sound driver is "broken"? For example I get
> the occasional glitch, and music seems to have no timing when played
> through pulseaudio. Does this mean my sound driver is broken? My
> hardware/driver combination not on the list on the website.

That's a good question.

If PA has drop outs and logs about them when run with -vvvv is passed
then it is very likely one of the broken drivers (or your kernel
sucks). Check the pa logs for anything suspicous.

> If you're interested in getting a log (snd_hda_intel on an Intel
> chipset) then please let me know and I will gladly oblige.

Intel HDA is a spec, not so much a chip. To figure out the actual chip
look at /proc/asound/pcm.