[pulseaudio-discuss] Making phonon/kde work nicely with pulse

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 24 13:20:21 PST 2009

Hi Lennart,

OK, so attached should be a screenie of the KDE settings window.

As you can see, the idea is to list all the various detected h/w and
allow them to be prioritised accordingly. The categories are shown on
the left hand side, but each once shows the same set of "devices"
(albeit potentially in different orders!)

As is clear it does show some devices that are not currently
attached/detected.

So to make this work nicely with pulse, I'd need to be able to:
  1. Record the sinks seen and know whether they are currently alive or
not (e.g. for USB, bluetooth and network sinks).
  2. Provide a way to prioritise our sinks in a list. If the most
preferred sink is not available (and our stream is not specifically
playing on a given sink) it should automatically pick the next device
with the highest priority.
  3. Allow this priority list to be different for different
roles/categories.
or
  3. Find a way to have something at the phonon side control the routing
decisions in PA (e.g. by uploading rules etc)

What do you think is needed and what should I work on to get there? Do
you see any major roadblocks?

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]