[pulseaudio-discuss] giving custom names to devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 25 12:19:53 PST 2009

On Wed, 25.02.09 12:14, H.S. (hs.samix at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to give custom names to audio devices?
>
> Presently the audio devices have long cryptic names listed in the device
> chooser. If possible I would like give these devices custom user
> friendly names. For example, my Micorosft LX-3000 USB headset is listed as:
> ALSA PCM on front:1(USB Audio) via DMA

Only very old versions of PA created descriptions like these. The
current logic uses the card name information from ALSA and tries to
avoid any more technical information in that name.

THe names still suck though because that creates names like "USB-Audio
- USB Device 0x471:0x311".

It would be much better if we could use the lspci or lsusb text. That
information is available via HAL, but I don't see how to get that data
correctly. i.e. we could go up in the hal tree until we find a
useful description. But I am a bit afraid that this might cause us to
take the description from the PCI bridge if the pci devcies connected
to it lack one.