[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio cannot recognise ALSA plughw

Aleksander Kamenik aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee
Mon Jan 19 14:45:58 PST 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:

> One thing you might try before you file that bug is commenting the
> invocation of snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer() in that
> function, recompiling and testing whether that changes the behaviour.

I guess your idea was to include a goto finish; right before the
problematic code with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() by commenting
the 'if ((ret = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer(pcm_handle,
hwparams)) < 0)' line?

In that case pulseaudio starts up, but doesn't set up any PCM's.

Jan 20 00:12:21 negr pulseaudio[11755]: (alsa-lib)pcm.c: PCM not set up

So there's nowhere to send the playback, no devices except the Null
Output device are shown in the pulse volume control.

However I also tried commenting out the
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() function calls. Thanks to this my
USB sound card popped up in the pulse audio volume control. My
integrated nvidia chip worked.

I could send the output stream to the usb card, though no sound would
come out nor would the sliders move to indicate playback. Though that
didn't crash anything and I could transfer the stream back to the built
in sound chip which works.

But when tried changing the volume of the USB card, pulseaudio crashed.

I did all of this in pavucontrol.

Regards,

--

Aleksander Kamenik