[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio cannot recognise ALSA plughw

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 19 15:13:10 PST 2009

On Tue, 20.01.09 00:45, Aleksander Kamenik (aleksander at krediidiinfo.ee) wrote:

> > One thing you might try before you file that bug is commenting the
> > invocation of snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer() in that
> > function, recompiling and testing whether that changes the behaviour.
>
> I guess your idea was to include a goto finish; right before the
> problematic code with snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() by commenting
> the 'if ((ret = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer(pcm_handle,
> hwparams)) < 0)' line?

No, my idea was to comment the two lines that deal with
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer(), as I said.

i.e., comment these two lines:

<snip>
if ((ret = snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_integer(pcm_handle, hwparams)) < 0)
    goto finish;
</snip>

> However I also tried commenting out the
> snd_pcm_hw_params_set_periods_near() function calls. Thanks to this my
> USB sound card popped up in the pulse audio volume control. My
> integrated nvidia chip worked.

Ah, that's interesting. Apparently your sound card does not support
integral number of periods. Weird thing. Could you please paste the
output of "pulseaudio -vvvv" with that minimal commenting change made?

> I could send the output stream to the usb card, though no sound would
> come out nor would the sliders move to indicate playback. Though that
> didn't crash anything and I could transfer the stream back to the built
> in sound chip which works.
>
> But when tried changing the volume of the USB card, pulseaudio
> crashed.

It crashed? How? Please provide a "pulsaudio -vvvv" output for the
crash. And also a stack trace:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces