[pulseaudio-discuss] Lights responding to bass/sounds?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 23 00:46:17 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Mike Axiak at 23/01/09 06:16 did gyre and gimble:
> I have an odd yet possibly fun question to ask. I have a few fun
> lights hooked up to my computer, and I've been wanting to write
> software that allows them to react to the sounds being played with my
> computer.
>
> A few years ago I wrote a plugin for xmms. Though now I have a better
> light system and since then I've gone on to use a larger variety of
> applications, so I'd like to solve this at the sound server level. I
> would need some access to the sound data that is playing, but wouldn't
> need to alter it in any way.
>
> Anyone have any pointers for me?

Each output has a ".monitor" stream that allows you to sample what is
being played.

It should be quite trivial to use this and just record from the
".monitor" source and filter the PCM stream to detect the bass sounds
being played and take the appropriate action.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]