[pulseaudio-discuss] Few questions about pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 30 06:47:30 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 30/01/09 13:41 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 12:48 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Maxim Levitsky at 30/01/09 11:33 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Networking supports seems to be very basic (at least with padevchooser)
>> padevchooser is dead. Don't use it.
>>
>> Using an avahi-enabled network and the preferences in paprefs are all
>> you need to make things work nicely (provided you disable all auth).
>>
>>> I could only connect to remote server and use it, but what if I want to
>>> record from remote server, and play localy?
>> So record the mic input of a remote server? You can do that, but it's
>> not a common use case.
>>
>>> Also list of network servers doesn't seem to update often, and the
>>> program crashes a lot.
>> Like I say padevchooser is rubbish and dead. It's no longer being
>> developed. It has numerous design flaws. Using the *-discover modules in
>> the pulse server which loads the tunnel-* modules automatically means
>> the remove devices appear just like local ones in pavucontrol. This is
>> the way forward
>
> You mean that app talks to local PA that talks to remote PA?

Yup.

> pavucontrol doesn't seem to honor the default device I set in
> output/input devices, recording still defaults to local device,
> unless I move the streams explicitly, which is annoying.

The "default" is really just a fallback (it's badly named). Pulse will
remember which sink a stream was last played on (or which source a
stream was last recorded from), and will restore it if it can. Moving it
once should be enough to have pulse remember this choice for future
sessions.

> PS: at least pavucontrol isn't dead?

No, pavucontrol is still actively developed.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]